So, this fine sunday, I think I wake with “lets spoil the day” mood. I start by checking my server to see how it is doing. A regular log view and updates I perform on my VPS. all was good, until I realise an update is available for my billing software. I decide to purchase an update for it. Before buying I forgot to check system requirement. Well it is just an update, and we install it every here and there for other things. So, I have updated copy of my billing software, which I follow the steps of upgrade and upload to my live server. All went well until I reach for software to suggest install PHP 5.6 instead of version I had. Well no problem how hard it is to update PHP in ubuntu 12.04, just matter of running apt-get.
Soon, I realise PHP 5.6 was never release for OS, and I need to use PPA. Found an old tutorial teaching me how to use PPA as it is my first time for it, the blog explain everything good, found couple more article but they are nearly the same. So, I went on and install the PPA and update the PHP 5.6. I run a command line to see what version of PHP is there and it correctly shows 5.6. So far so good, but suddenly “If anything goes wrong will go wrong” statement hit me. It only update CLI PHP not apache version. Damn, what is wrong with it.
PPA on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS need Apache 2.4 and Apache 2.4 never makes to Ubuntu 12.04. So, again there is PPA for apache but that doesn’t work for me well. I mean it does update few things, but cannot make PHP’s Lib for Apache to get installed. At this very moment, I have two options. Either I rollback all updates to my Backup Copy, or I move ahead to upgrade OS to 14.04 LTS. I choose later one.
Simply run “do-release-upgrade” and follow the course of stream. but it stuck as VestaCP’s APT repo didn’t work with upgrade. Not sure why, I just remove them from APT repo’ List and all goes well. All updated nothing is broken but Apache. It is broken because my previous attempt of PPA apache upgrade leave it broken and in conflicting state.
I remove and try reinstall apache without PPA, but that cause more conflict. After hit and trial with PPA and non PPA apache, I end up getting it upgrade and everything running.
There is no technical details shared in this post, as this post is not for Step on how to do it, but what not to do it. And that is only one thing, never miss reading about what upgrades you are going to do, never miss system requirement before paying someone. It only took me 4 hrs to get it all going, and frankly it turns out to be Positive for me, as it get my pending upgrade of OS done. But, I would have save my day if I read the simple requirement before buying the upgrade for billing software. I would have avoided unnecessary upgrade path, and reduce the down time to say 1 hr at most instead of 4 hrs. Good thing my blog is not a business, but never try that at client server.